Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2015

July wrap up

Movies

I have watched three new movies this month.

Wild - I would never decide to go on my own on such a trip Jane decided to go. The movie is based on a book that I haven't read so I cannot compare. However, I found this movie interesting and very well made. It is slow paced story of a trekking trip that forces Jane to rethink her life. We get to see short snapshots of her life that very well explain why she needed such a long and difficult walk to reboot her life.

Ida - very good movie (won the 2015 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film) set in 1962 in a communistic Poland where talking about what happened to Jews during the World War II was a taboo topic. Anna, a young woman on the verge of taking vows as a Catholic nun, is sent to meet her aunt the former Communist prosecutor. When Anna learns her parents were Jews, the two women embark on a road trip to rediscover what have happened to their relatives not so long ago during Nazi occupation. Often we hear how people were helping each other even it meant risking their own safety but war is not an easy time and not everyone was heroic. Some people committed crimes sometimes on their neighbors and this movie touches upon this difficult subject.

Minions - good entertainment but it is not as good as Despicable Me or Despicable Me 2. It gives a background story where Minions come from and well as always they pretty cute and funny ;)

The Equalizer - very cool but very brutal. It is not something that I would normally watch.

Books

I have started a new series which is probably a biggest mistake taking into account my tight study schedule but well it is too late now so let me review what I have read so far from a fantasy Throne of Glass books series. The protagonist Celaena will slaughter a lot of people on her way so if you have any anger buried deep inside of you these books might be quite soothing to read ;) There is also loads of action and adventures. Series so far introduces a lot of romance plots that at moments stay at the level of a typical chick lit but I do not mind it. I find these series very entertaining.

Btw.: if you plan to dive into this series then please start with The Assassin's Blade.



Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas - I have read it during one day/night I couldn't force myself to put it down. I went to bed first at 5am. It was very good read. Celaena, the main character, is an assassin. She gets an opportunity to take part in a king's competition and since she doesn't have any better option she takes it. As a story evolves we are slowly getting to know her. Smart young kick-ass girl as for me a very likable character.

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas - The king's castle is full of mysteries, dark shadows and magic. Celaena stands in front of new challenges and love, friendship and fate create dramatic plot. We discover secrets about Celaena that definitely encourage to read the next book Heir of Fire...

Travel

I have visited my hometown Szczecin, Poland and I have spent there two lovely weeks with my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment