Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

December 2019 - July 2020 - update and summary

Starting in January 2020, I took a half a year break from my phd work as I was an exhausted human being. I have started again on the first of July. My break did not look as I have envisioned it to be but one can not plan for a world pandemic coming and shaking the way we lived so far. Luckily the life in my community is starting to resemble normality so it is getting easier and easier to navigate everyday life.


BOOKS

I have been dealing with issue of not finishing books I have been starting so one of my New Years resolutions was to change that bad habit. So far I haven't made much progress but I did managed to finish some books.

'Invisible Women' by Caroline Criado Perez

This book is about data bias and gap in the world designed by and for men. It won a Science Book Prize in 2019. It is filled with disturbing information how lack of data about women drives the discrimination. It made me angry and made me look at ladies around me with even more understanding. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

'Kingdom of Ash' by Sarah J Maas

This is last book in the series of seven books 'Throne of Glass'. It is a good final book and I liked the whole series but the way characters developed was not always relatable for me. All in all whole series is a good fun read.

'Nudge' by Thaler and Sunstein

Quite heavy with economics language that I am not most comfortable with but I definitely learned a lot. Very interesting book.

'Art Matters' by N. Gaiman

Very inspiring short read.


TRAVEL

I went for few days to Szczecin, Poland. I ate wonderful cakes and ice-cream in 'Ale Ciacho' - if you in town this cafe is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment